Sports Injury Recovery: Available at all STAR Locations
After a sports injury, physical therapy can help restore strength and movement. It can also relieve pain, speed recovery, and prevent further damage and repeat injuries. A wide range of athletes can benefit from our expertise, with amateurs and professionals alike coming to us for help.
At STAR, we take the time to help you heal and regain performance. While we appreciate your eagerness to return to your sport, we will make sure you do not rush. We will help you recover fully and properly. We make sure you can resume doing what you love.
Why Choose STAR Physical Therapy for a Sports Injury?
At STAR, we understand athletes and their goals. In addition to providing effective therapy, we evaluate your sports techniques and body mechanics to prevent further damage and injury.
Our physical therapy is available as a treatment on its own or before or after surgery. We also offer:
- Experienced therapists: Our therapists have experience treating the full range of sports injuries. Some of our therapists are board-certified in sports therapy, meaning they passed special exams and continually learn and improve. One of those therapists, our team leader, previously served as the physical therapist for Major League Baseball’s St. Louis Cardinals. He is also a certified strength and conditioning specialist.
- Ability to treat every level of athlete: Top athletes trust us with their care. In fact, we provide therapy for members of several pro leagues. But we help many others, too. Our players range from students in middle or high school to 20 year olds in rec leagues and 70 year olds playing tennis.
- Tailored therapy: We provide the attention and expertise worthy of the pros but do not expect you to perform like one. We work with you to create a personalized therapy plan with realistic goals and expectations. You can always call us with questions or concerns between sessions.
- Range of expertise: If we suspect you have a concussion, we can refer you to a physician at Washington University Orthopedics, the group that provides medical care for the St. Louis Blues hockey team. Otherwise, we care for the full range of sports injuries and complaints, preventing additional harm when we can and helping you recover. We offer particular expertise for runners, as well as athletes who cycle, throw or pitch. Learn more about our Running Clinic.
- Top equipment: Our centers feature running lanes and newer machines for cardiovascular, strength and range of motion exercises. We also offer specialized strength and balance testing and video motion analysis, with equipment that is not widely available.
- Close partnership with doctors: We will coordinate with the doctor who refers you for therapy. We also work closely with the Orthopedics and Sports Medicine programs at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital in Creve Coeur. Athletes needing both medical attention and physical therapy can get their care on one campus.
Learn more about the benefits of choosing STAR sports therapy and physical therapy.
Sports Injuries We Treat
We care for a wide variety of sports injuries. To do this, we fully investigate the cause of each injury to help it heal properly and to make it less likely to happen again.
In addition to treating the injured joint, ligament, bone or muscle, we also address other supporting tissue. Among the injuries and conditions we treat are:
Knee Injury, Torn ACL and Return to Play
While your doctor ultimately decides when you can return to your sport, we help with your evaluation and assessment. We also offer specialized Return to Play testing, whether you have done your therapy with us or not.
Return to Play testing is mainly used after ACL tears, other knee injuries and severe ankle sprains. It can also help any athlete whose body mechanics put them at risk for injury. Testing involves:
- Evaluating sports-specific movements, such as cutting, jumping, landing, starting and stopping
- Testing strength and flexibility on both sides of your body, such as comparing the knee you injured to your healthy one (learn more about strength and balance testing)
- Assessing your body mechanics and making adjustments as needed
- Completing video analysis
- Reviewing questionnaires to determine if you are mentally ready to return
If you are a cyclist with an injury and want to avoid further problems, we suggest bringing your bike to our Chesterfield location. Our specialized therapist has you ride your bike on our CompuTrainer at various RPMs while she completes a thorough evaluation.
Your therapist provides you with an exercise plan based on the findings to relieve pain and improve efficiency. The evaluation looks at:
- Fit of your bike and its possible role in your injury, making any needed adjustments and offering equipment suggestions
- Pedal stroke efficiency before and after the fitting
- Riding posture
Pitching and Throwing Injury
Working out of our Creve Coeur location, our lead sports therapist specializes in pitching and throwing injuries. He conducts research on these kinds of injuries and also served as the St. Louis Cardinals’ physical therapist for eight years.
During your sessions, our lead therapist uses video analysis to assess your mechanics, showing you all the angles. He provides you with a detailed report.
To learn more about our services or make an appointment, please call a STAR location:
- Chesterfield — Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Orthopedic Center: 314.514.3636
- Creve Coeur — Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital: 314.996.3050
- South County — Center for Advanced Medicine: 314.286.1000