Strength and Balance Testing: Available at STAR Locations in Creve Coeur (Strength) and Chesterfield (Balance)
We offer specialized strength and balance testing that is not widely available elsewhere in the St. Louis area. When needed, this testing helps us analyze your muscles, joints and movements in greater detail. We can further gauge your progress and identify any remaining challenges.
You will be able to see firsthand the information generated by testing rather than just hear about it. You will gain confidence knowing when your recovery is complete and when you can resume sports or other activities.
Learn more about using strength and balance testing for:
Why Choose STAR for a Strength Test?
We test your muscle strength with a machine called the System 4 dynamometer. Not all physical therapy programs offer this type of testing, and we work with others to make it available even for those not completing therapy with us.
During this isokinetic testing, you sit in a chair while a mechanical arm connected to a computer monitors the movement of your arm or leg.
- Isolates different muscle groups and determines the capacity of each to find any weak areas
- Never provides more resistance than you can safely handle
- Measures your movements
- Helps us assess your progress and determines ways we can improve your function
Why Choose STAR for a Balance Test?
We are the first, and currently only, physical therapy program in the St. Louis area with a Propio Reactive Balance System. Our Propio 5000 features a round, 3-foot-wide platform that you stand on. Our system:
- Tilts forward, backward, side-to-side and in clockwise and counter-clockwise patterns, at variable speeds (from subtle to aggressive) and in either repeated or random movements
- Captures details and feedback not possible with other tests (other tests, while useful, rely on the trained eye of a therapist and cannot provide precise measurements and data)
- Helps assess recovery from injury or surgery to your knee, hip or ankle, as well as gauge and improve core stabilization
- Shows tendencies, such as favoring one side of your body
- Ensures your safety with both automatic and therapist shutoff if you lose your balance and step too far from your starting spot
- Is a tool for all ages since we can tailor the speed and motion to your needs, physical abilities and progress in therapy
- Offers a standardized two-minute test, so we can compare results over the course of your therapy
To learn more about our services or make an appointment, please call a STAR location:
- Chesterfield — Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Orthopedic Center: 314.514.3636
- Creve Coeur — Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital: 314.996.3050
- South County — Center for Advanced Medicine: 314.286.1000