When you need physical therapy or medical massage therapy, we can help. Our Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation (STAR) Program offers three modern and convenient centers, two in west St. Louis County and one in South County.
As part of Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital, we provide a full range of services, including some not widely available. We treat a variety of ages, conditions and physical abilities, including all types of injured athletes. We welcome the chance to help. Learn more about our STAR locations.
Why Choose STAR for Sports Therapy and Physical Therapy?
Our licensed physical therapists and massage therapists can help relieve your pain, increase your mobility, and improve your daily function and performance. Our therapy can also provide alternatives to treatments like pain medications and surgery. Our program also offers:
- Experience and expertise: Our therapists regularly learn new techniques and keep up with new advances. Many have years of experience, while others hold advanced degrees and certifications. Some have completed additional training to focus on a particular area of therapy such as sports injury recovery and women’s health. Learn more about our team.
- One-on-one therapy: Your therapist focuses solely on you during your sessions. We do not just give you an exercise and leave you alone to complete it. We also try to match you with the same therapist each time. If scheduling or treatment demands do not allow that, your therapists coordinate with each other.
- Time you need: We do not have a set appointment length. Your therapist schedules you for the most appropriate amount of time, based on your needs. We never want you to feel rushed or that you cannot ask questions. We respect your time, though, and do not keep you longer than necessary.
- Help with challenging injuries: We frequently receive referrals for truly challenging cases, where the diagnosis is uncertain, and we must identify both the problem and the treatment. We are often asked to help with chronic pain, as well as orthopedic and pelvic conditions.
- Satisfaction: We develop a relationship with you. We commit to helping you meet your goals, whether you want to resume a sport, return to work, play with grandchildren or just keep up with your home. We take the time to listen and to clearly explain our recommendations. Our patient-first approach begins the first time you call us.
- New equipment and friendly environment: We equip each of our centers with a running/throwing lane and newer, carefully selected exercise machines. We also offer specialized video motion analysis and strength and balance testing. While our clientele includes pro athletes, we are not a “jock gym.” People of all ages, sizes and abilities feel welcome.
- Coordination with doctors: We work closely with your doctor. We share information and advice and regularly keep them updated. This partnership ensures you receive the best care and see the best results.
Conditions We Treat
In addition to caring for men and women of all ages, we provide orthopedic therapy for children starting at 14. We also care for pelvic problems, such as pelvic pain and incontinence, in those as young as four.
We offer a wide variety of services and continue to add more, meeting the needs and interests of the people who count on us. While we care for a broad range of conditions and needs, we see certain orthopedic issues the most frequently:
Chronic Pain Treatment
Many people come to us in pain, and we can typically provide relief. We offer special expertise treating chronic pain that has lasted several months or even years. It may take patience on your part, but we want to help you return to the activities you love, not just a basic level of function.
- Comprehensive testing to determine what is actually going on, including video analysis if needed.
- Potential for lasting relief, by treating the core problem, not just the symptoms.
- Flexible approach, tailored to your schedule, needs and goals.
- Coordination with other providers if you need medications, injections or scans.
- Treatments not widely available, including manual therapy and massage therapy.
Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital also offers a specialized Pain Management Center.
To learn more about our services or make an appointment, please call a STAR location:
- Chesterfield — Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Orthopedic Center: 314.514.3636
- Creve Coeur — Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital: 314.996.3050
- South County — Center for Advanced Medicine: 314.286.1000