Our skilled orthopedists at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital offer a variety of non-surgical ankle treatments to help remedy your pain and mobility issues. We can diagnose and treat your chronic ankle problems.
Non-Surgical Ankle Treatments at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital: Why Choose Us
If you’re hesitant to have surgery for your chronic ankle problems, we support your way of thinking. Our expert physicians also believe in trying non-surgical therapies before they recommend an operation. Here’s how we work with you:
- We listen: Our orthopedists really hear your questions and concerns. We don’t just look at your films.
- We embrace a minimally invasive philosophy: We only recommend ankle surgery if non-invasive options don’t give you the results you want.
- We offer personalized treatments: From custom braces and orthotics to physical therapy programs designed specifically for you, our orthopedists personalize treatment to your specific needs and goals.
- We’re easily accessible: You can get in and out of our hospital quickly.
Non-Surgical Ankle Treatments: What We Offer
After listening to your concerns, our physicians will focus on developing a personalized treatment program to restore the mobility of your ankle. They may recommend:
- Physical therapy: Our highly skilled therapists can address ankle problems by strengthening muscles and restoring range of motion.
- Cortisone injections: These simple injections reduce pain and inflammation in the ankle with a goal of making you more comfortable and less stiff.
- Orthotics and braces: When ankle pain is caused by poor alignment of the bones, custom braces and shoe inserts may solve the problem.
- Medications: Your orthopedist may recommend prescription medications to treat your ankle pain. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications and corticosteroids can help ease pain and calm irritated nerves.
Ankle Rehabilitation at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital: Why Choose Us
For ankle injuries, we offer world-class rehabilitation--the same caliber of treatment received by players for the NHL’s St. Louis Blues. Our Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation (STAR) center helps you get back on your feet—literally. Our program includes:
- Leading-edge treatments including aqua therapy and video walking/running analysis
- Highly experienced, licensed physical therapists
- Licensed massage therapists
- One-on-one instruction
- Close communication with you and your physician
Learn more about our Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation (STAR) center.
Ankle Conditions We Treat
At Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital, we treat all types of foot and ankle problems, including:
- Chronic ankle pain
- Achilles’ tendon problems
- Bunions, hammer toes
- Flat feet
- Heel pain
- Plantar fasciitis
For more information about non-surgical ankle treatments or to schedule an appointment with an orthopedist, call Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital at 314.542.WEST (9378) or toll-free 844.542.9378.