Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital is committed to ensuring you are comfortable leaving the hospital and have clear directions for your ongoing care. To that end, you will receive written discharge instructions from the doctor and the nurse. If you do not, please ask for this information.
Once your physician informs you of your discharge time, please begin making after-care arrangements. You may need to obtain medications, arrange to complete your physical therapy or follow specific post-operation (post-op) instructions:
- Where to Pick Up Your Medication: Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital does not offer an outpatient pharmacy. But there are several pharmacies located near the hospital. Find the most convenient one for you here.
- Physical Therapy: Your after-care plan might include physical therapy. Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital provides a full range of sports therapy and rehabilitation services. Learn more about our Sports and Physical Therapy treatments and program.
- Post-op Instructions: Patients undergoing surgery will have additional aftercare instructions. Find out everything you need to know about post-op care in Patients Having Surgery.
- How You May Feel: Expect to be fatigued for at least 24 hours as the anesthesia leaves your body. You may experience soreness or bruising where your anesthesia was delivered; this could be through an intravenous (IV) line in your arm or tube that was inserted into your mouth and down your windpipe. Do not make any legal decision, drive or consume alcohol for 24 hours after receiving anesthesia or while taking pain medications.
- When to Call Your Physician: If you develop a fever, significant bleeding or uncontrolled pain call your physician’s office immediately.
- When You Will be Contacted: Expect a phone call from the hospital the day after your procedure, we are here to answer any questions you may have. Your physician’s office will contact you within 10 days after your procedure with your lab or pathology results.
BJC Home Care Services
Sometimes you need additional care after being discharged. Our care doesn’t stop when you leave the hospital. BJC Home Care Services is a team of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, therapists, and other health care professionals ready to continue your care after your stay. They provide a complete range of home care services including:
- Skilled nursing services
- Adult and pediatric hospice and palliative home care
- Rehabilitation therapy
- Home infusion therapy and infusion treatment rooms
- Home medical equipment and high-tech respiratory care.
For more information about our home care services, call 314.205.8600 or toll-free at 888.252.4663 (888.BJC.HOME), or visit www.bjchomecare.org.
Have Questions About Your Care After You Leave the Hospital?
Call your surgeon’s office or contact us at 314.542.WEST (9378) or toll-free at 844.542.9378.