At Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital, we know that having surgery can be scary and stressful. Rest assured; you are in good hands. Our staff is dedicated to your safety, comfort and healing. We are here to ensure you have the most safe and comfortable experience possible.
First, get to know the members of your skilled surgical team and then follow your surgical journey step by step.
Get to Know Your Surgical Team
Your surgical team offers the latest techniques and technologies to speed your recovery. They are dedicated to providing excellent clinical care, and to easing the often-disorienting experience of surgery for patients and their caregivers. The number of team members differs depending on the type of surgery, but most teams include the following:
- Surgeon: Guides your care and performs the surgery.
- Washington University resident physician: In some incidences, this physician may assist with your care under the direction of your surgeon.
- Anesthesiologist: Evaluates your surgery needs and is specially trained to keep you safe during surgery and in recovery and works to manage your pain.
- Certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA): Safely administers the anesthetics.
- Post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) nurse: Provides your care while you are recovering from anesthesia after surgery.
- Surgical technicians: Set up a sterile environment, prepare supplies and handle the surgeons requested instruments.
- Dedicated team of registered surgical nurses: To manage your care under the direction of your surgeon.
Preparing for Surgery
Many factors go into the success of your surgery, please follow these guidelines and consult with your surgeon’s office for additional details regarding preparations for your specific surgery. To find general information about staying at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital, see Preparing for Your Stay.