An MRI of the breast is not a replacement for mammography or ultrasound imaging but rather a supplemental tool that has many important uses, including:
- Evaluating breast implants
- Screening in women at high risk for breast cancer
- Determining the extent of cancer after a new diagnosis of breast cancer
- Further evaluating hard-to-assess abnormalities seen on mammography
- Evaluating lumpectomy sites in the years following breast cancer treatment
- Following chemotherapy treatment in patients
Patients lie face down with breasts positioned in cushioned openings. The openings are surrounded by a breast coil, which is a signal receiver that works with the MRI unit to create the images.
Additional Imaging Information
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a radiologist, call Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital at 314.996.8080.
We are conveniently located just one mile west of I-270 on Olive Blvd., at Olive and Mason in Creve Coeur, Missouri - a west county suburb of St. Louis, Missouri. Get directions to our Imaging Locations.