This is an FDA approved, safe and effective alternative for a person who is struggling with weight loss. Join a Washington University gastroenterologist to learn more about a new balloon device that is inserted into the stomach via the mouth through a minimally invasive endoscopic procedure. This 12-month program includes a medical evaluation, device insertion and removal, monthly group sessions and personalized lifestyle counseling from a behavioral coach and registered dietitian.
Please note, in addition to the Intragastric Balloon, two new endoscopic, nonsurgical weight loss procedure options will be addressed in the hour-long session: Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty and Aspiration Therapy.
Please review the criteria below to determine if you are a candidate for the Intragastric Balloon:
- You are at least 30 pounds overweight
- You have attempted weight-loss through diet and exercise without success
- You have not been diagnosed with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- You do not have heart burn symptoms when taking heart burn medications
- You have not had previous surgeries in your small intestine or stomach, exception is an uncomplicated appendectomy surgery or gall bladder removal
- You have not had bariatric surgery in the past
- You are not on blood thinners
- You are willing to participate in a medically supervised program
- You are 22 years old or older
If any of the following statements are true, you are NOT a candidate for this treatment option and should not attend this information session:
- You have severe damage to your liver
- You take prescription aspirin, anti-inflammatory agents, anticoagulants or other gastric irritants daily
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
Currently, most insurance providers do not cover the cost of the new weight loss options.
The event is free and registration is required.
Registration desk opens: 30 minutes prior to presentation.
Presentation: Start times vary by presentation date selected. Please see event dates on form below.
Three endoscopic non-surgical weight loss procedure options will be addressed in the hour-long session: Intragastric Balloon, Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty and Aspiration Therapy.
For your convenience, information sessions are held at two locations.
||Central West End
||Campus of Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Washington University in St. Louis Medical Building
Outpatient Clinics and Clinical Trial Units
Second Floor, Suite 200
||620 S. Taylor Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110
||Free parking outside building
If you have reviewed the criteria and determined that you are a candidate for the intragastric balloon, please choose a date and complete the registration.