If you have struggled with weight loss because of certain health conditions or other reasons, bariatric weight-loss surgery could provide an option. At Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital, our Washington University surgeons have years of experience with research and patient education. We offer several treatment options for obesity.
Why Choose Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital for Bariatric Surgery?
People who need bariatric surgery for weight loss come to us for several reasons:
- Latest, most advanced treatment options: We offer three major types of bariatric surgery using sophisticated, laparoscopic (minimally invasive) techniques.
- All services on one campus: For most patients, you’ll receive all your weight-loss services and care in one place. Our comfortable setting is conveniently located in Creve Coeur, with free parking and easy access.
- Leading bariatric surgeon in the St. Louis area: Our program is led by an experienced Washington University bariatric surgeon, who has been performing these surgeries here since 1997. Physicians and surgeons throughout the St. Louis area refer their most complex bariatric cases to Christopher Eagon, MD. He has performed more than 3,000 bariatric procedures — currently 400 per year, 100 of which are completed at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital. About 10 percent of his procedures are revisions of previous bariatric surgeries, which most bariatric surgeons do not tackle because of their challenging complexity.
- Nationally recognized expertise: Dr. Eagon and his Washington University colleagues stand at the forefront of bariatric research and surgical advances. He helped Barnes-Jewish Hospital, our partner, earn the prestigious Center of Excellence from the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). Our patients benefit from that same expertise.
- Ongoing care for permanent weight management: Our team focuses on building long-term relationships with our patients, whom we continue to see for lifetime follow-ups and monthly support groups.
- Comprehensive care: The care team works together to coordinate your entire weight-loss program, with staff from several disciplines, including:
- Nurse practitioner
- Registered nurse
- Registered dietitians (learn more about our nutrition support for weight loss)
- Exercise specialists
- Plastic surgery for body contouring: Surgeons from Washington University and private practice offer plastic surgery for excess skin removal after weight loss, right on our campus.
Am I a Candidate for Weight-Loss Surgery?
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on a person’s height and weight. BMI is a major factor in your eligibility for weight-loss surgery, though there are other criteria, too. The criteria for bariatric surgery include:
- BMI of 40 or higher
- BMI of 35 to 39 with an obesity-related condition such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure or sleep apnea
- Previous attempts at a structured dietary weight-loss program for at least six months without success
- No diagnosis of Crohn’s disease or cirrhosis of the liver
- Age 18 to 70
Please use our BMI calculator to measure your body mass index. All patients must attend a bariatric surgery information session to learn more about the types of surgery and eligibility.
Bariatric Surgery at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital: Our Services
Surgery is just one part of our comprehensive weight-loss program. Our services include:
- Pre- and post-op visits: You will meet with our program coordinator, nurse practitioner, registered dietitians, psychologist and physical therapist for program support and health checks.
- Nutrition support for weight loss: Our registered dietitians provide information and resources about healthy eating habits and weight-loss success after surgery.
- Psychological counseling: Our psychologists help you mentally and emotionally prepare for your life after surgery.
- Physical therapy and exercise training: You learn about and participate in exercise at our on-site Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation Center (STAR).
- Post-op support groups: We lead monthly groups that provide a comfortable space for patients who have had gastric bypass, gastric sleeve or lap band procedures to share their experiences.
- Private Facebook group: We provide an online forum for building relationships with other bariatric patients.
- Financing: We help you determine your health insurance coverage and find a third-party financing option for out-of-pocket costs.
Types of Bariatric Surgery at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
Learn more about the surgical weight loss procedures we offer:
Contact Us for Weight Loss Treatment
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a bariatric physician, please call Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital at 314.542.WEST (9378) or toll-free at 844.542.9378.
If you are interested in having a weight loss procedure, you must first attend one of the following information sessions. A Washington University physician will discuss our procedures and explain eligibility.
Referring physicians can call the Doctors’ Access Line at 800.252.DOCS (3627) 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also visit our referring physicians page.
Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital is conveniently located just one mile west of I-270 in Creve Coeur, Missouri – a west county suburb of St. Louis.
Our bariatric physicians have two locations on campus:
- The Washington University Bariatric Endoscopic Therapy office is located in Medical Office Building 3, Suite 100. The address is 1020 North Mason Road, at the corner of North Mason and Executive Parkway.
- The Washington University Bariatric Surgery office is located in Medical Office Building 1, Suite 120. The address is 1040 North Mason Road, at the corner of North Mason and Olive Boulevard.
Get directions and maps.