Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Go
+ expand all

1937

Faith Hospital Established

Andrew J. Signorelli, MD, founded Faith Hospital in 1937. 

The non-profit, non-sectarian hospital was located on the corner of Taylor and Maffitt in North St. Louis. The hospital was in a building constructed for the former American Hospital, built in 1905. Although there were doubts about the success of a hospital during the Depression and war years, Faith Hospital thrived and plans were developed following World War II for a new 60-bed hospital.

1945

Faith Hospital Expansion Planned

In 1945, Dr. Signorelli formed a bond committee to finance the new hospital. He had the support of Charles A. Shaw, a former mayor of Clayton, and other friends. During the first month of the campaign, $250,000 had been pledged.

1950

Construction begins: Faith Hospital on North Kingshighway

In March 1950, construction began for a new Faith Hospital at 3300 North Kingshighway in the City of St. Louis. The hospital was the first new, voluntary hospital built in St. Louis in the previous 20 years. It was also the first air-conditioned hospital in St. Louis and one of the few specifically designed in the United States.

1952

Faith Hospital on North Kingshighway Opens

The first patient was admitted in May 1952 to Faith Hospital on North Kingshighway. The previous hospital was operated for several years as a community hospital. The building and land were later donated to the African Methodist Episcopal Church.

1956

Faith Hospital Grows

By 1956, Faith Hospital had completed several new additions to accommodate the growing need. The bed capacity more than doubled, and more ancillary services and facilities were provided. To assist with more progressive care of patients, an “ultramodern” recovery room, a special care section and an updated X-ray department were several of the new additions to the hospital.

Faith Hospital had a continuing need to grow, and by the 1960s, a plan to expand across the street on the site of an old public school stadium ground was developed. When the St. Louis School Board decided to keep the property, Dr. Signorelli found a new location to the west.

1966

Faith Hospital Expands Westward

The Hezel family lived and farmed a 95-acre tract of land located at Olive and Mason Roads in Creve Coeur for more than 100 years. 

Dr. Signorelli purchased this land for the new Faith Hospital West, with the understanding that the family could still farm a portion of the land.

Construction begins on Faith Hospital West in 1966.

1968

Faith Hospital West - Construction

Construction is almost complete for the new Faith Hospital West along the once rural farm roads of Olive and Mason Roads in West St. Louis County.

1969

Faith Hospital West - Opens

The hospital was dedicated on Jan. 5, 1969, and the first patient was admitted the following day. This modern medical-surgical hospital had 132 beds.

 

Faith Hospital West was home to more than 300 physicians, 250 employees and was led by Dr. Signorelli and his son, Andrew J. Signorelli, the hospital administrator.

The new Faith Hospital followed Dr. Signorelli’s belief that a hospital should create a relaxed, comfortable environment for its patients. The hospital is still known today for its scenic landscape, waterfowl and soothing environment.

1971

Signorelli Family Breaks Ground for School Adjacent to Hospital

Recognizing a need for high-quality day care and an educational institution close to the hospital for employees and also people in surrounding communities, ground was broken in the early 1970s adjacent to the hospital on Mason Road for construction of Hope Montessori and Day Care Academy. Since then, additional classrooms and buildings have been added, leading to Andrews Academy opening in 1983, a school for first- through sixth-grade students. By 2016, the Signorelli family was operating 16 schools in both St. Louis and Colorado.

1972

Faith Hospital West - Medic Center Construction

In 1972, the hospital continued its growth by completing the Medic Center — a professional office building that provided space for doctors and staff with access to the pharmacy, X-ray department and hearing laboratory. An addition to the Medic Center was completed in 1982.

The Medic Center was re-named Medical Office Building One after additional medical office buildings were constructed on the hospital campus.

Dr. Signorelli died Sept. 19, 1986.

 

1989

Former Barnes Hospital Purchases Faith Hospital

In 1989, the former Barnes Hospital reached an agreement to buy Faith Hospital.

Andrew J. Signorelli, the former hospital administrator, died Oct. 5, 2013.

Special thanks to the Signorelli Family for providing Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital with historical photos, facts and documents to create this timeline.

1996

Hospitals come together to form Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital

In the early 1990s, the former Barnes Hospital joined BJC HealthCare and by 1996 had joined with the former Jewish Hospital to become Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital.

Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital offers specialized care from highly skilled clinicians and world-class physicians from Washington University, BJC Medical Group and private practice. The hospital has maintained the vision of Dr. Signorelli, his family and all those who worked for Faith Hospital, to provide care in a compassionate, healing environment.

2008

Siteman Cancer Center expands services to west St. Louis County

In 1999, Siteman Cancer Center was established by the generous donation of Alvin and Ruth Siteman at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine.

Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital

In 2008, Siteman Cancer Center and Washington University physicians expanded its care at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital by increasing chemotherapy services, radiation oncology therapy and adding additional surgical services. Today, Siteman Cancer Center continues to improve the health of individuals locally, regionally and nationally through cancer research, treatment and prevention.

Siteman Cancer Center's Healing Garden at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital

Healing Garden at Siteman Cancer Center, Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital.

2017

Groundbreaking for the New Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital

On May 30, leaders from BJC HealthCare, Washington University School of Medicine, the hospital medical staff, Creve Coeur city officials, and the project team gathered to ceremonially break ground for the new Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital. The event honored the past and celebrated the future of medicine in Creve Coeur.

Trish Lollo, Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital president, recognized the continuation of caring for the community envisioned by the Signorelli family when they opened Faith Hospital in 1969. Members of the Signorelli Family attended the groundbreaking, including Mark Signorelli, Terry Signorelli, Theresa (Signorelli) Callahan and Dan Signorelli.

Signorelli Family at BJWCH Groundbreaking May 30, 2017

Trish Lollo with Steve Lipstein, CEO of BJC Health Care.  Mr. Lipstein shares that Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital has always stood proud on being a relatively small hospital, but being very patient centric, very responsive to the needs of the local community and very committed to the people of Creve Coeur.

Trish Lollo and Steve Lipstein image

Click below to watch a brief video of the event and remarks.

Groundbreaking Video Link

Visit our construction website for more information about the new Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital project.

2019

New Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital scheduled to open

In 2019, 50 years after Faith Hospital opened its doors in Creve Coeur, a new Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital will open. The replacement hospital will continue to provide short-stay surgical and medical care in a healing environment that’s innovative, modern and efficient, desgned to enhance the excellent patient care for which we are known. Click here to learn more about the revitalization of the campus.

Learn More

Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital is conveniently located just one mile west of I-270 in Creve Coeur, Missouri — a west county suburb of St. Louis.  Learn more about us and our areas of specialty.

Get directions and maps.

SIGN UP TODAY FOR FREE E-NEWSLETTERS

Get the latest in medical technology, research and disease prevention sent to your inbox from Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital and Barnes-Jewish Hospital.
Find a doctor or make an appointment: 314.542.WEST (9378) OR TOLL-FREE 1.844.542.9378
General Information: (314) 996.8000
12634 Olive Boulevard
Creve Coeur, Missouri 63141
©Copyright 1997-2018, Barnes-Jewish West Country Hospital. All Rights Reserved