The Washington University Living Well Center is located in Medical Office Building 4 on the campus of Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital. Free parking is available on surface lots and underneath the building.
The Living Well Center will open on the campus of Barnes-Jewish Hospital West County Hospital on June 1, 2020. It is staffed by Washington University physicians and is an intensive interdisciplinary lifestyle medicine program for patients with musculoskeletal disorders and a need to improve their overall health to reach their goals.
Each patient referred to the center will undergo a comprehensive consultation to determine personalized goals and treatment pathways. The founder, Heidi Prather, DO along with Devyani Hunt, MD, John Metzler, MD and Chi Tang, MD will be providing care to the Living Well Center patients.
“The Washington University Living Well Center at Barnes-Jewish West Hospital County is an amazing opportunity to actually provide ‘well care’ and not ‘sick care,’” said Hunt. “We are able to offer patients an array of services that help them address not only their musculoskeletal issue but also the barriers that are stopping them from attaining their goals. This intensive lifestyle medicine approach can be so powerful and rewarding for both the patient and the doctor. “
Ideal candidates for this program include:
- Patients preparing for a procedure, such as joint replacement surgery or spine surgery.
- Patients who want to avoid surgery.
- Patients who have undergone treatments for cancer and want to improve their health and wellbeing.
- Patients seeking coordinated comprehensive musculoskeletal treatment options not typically covered by insurance plans, including nutritional counseling, acupuncture and medical massage.
“These disciplines offer to help patients reach their individual goals, including behavioral health counseling, nutritional counseling, physical therapy, acupuncture, medical massage, aerobic exercise education, cooking demonstrations and group education events,” said Hunt.
PATIENT FINDS RELIEF WITH LOWER BACK PAIN
Sara credits the guidance and treatment she experienced at The Living Well Center with reducing her back pain and avoiding surgery. Watch her story on KMOV.
OUTCOMES FROM LIVING WELL CENTER PILOT PROGRAM
Washington University physicians have been offering this personalized wellness program for the past two years and has treated approximately 40 patients. Early success includes:
- 60% of participants with goals of optimizing for total joint replacement surgery were successful. Optimization is designed to decrease the patients surgical risk and help prepare the patient to experience the best possible post-surgical outcomes.
- 20% of successful participants chose not to have surgery after completing the program.
- Many patients experienced weight loss, reduced anxiety and depression, lessened pain interference and a significant growth in physical function.
SCHUEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Connect with an orthopedic specialist by scheduling a virtual or office visit, call 314.514.3565 or request an appointment and a patient service representative with contact you.
CONTACT US: PHYSICIANS
Referring physicians can call the BJC Transfer Center at 800.252.DOCS (3627) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY LIVING WELL CENTER LOCATION
Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
Medical Office Building 4
1044 North Mason Road, Suite 210
Creve Coeur, MO 63141
Campus Map & Parking