The FDA has recently approved a new safe and effective alternative for a person who is struggling with weight loss. Join Shelby Sullivan, MD, Washington University gastroenterologist and director of bariatric endoscopy, to learn more about a new balloon device that is inserted into the stomach via the mouth through a minimally invasive endoscopic procedure.
This 12-month program includes a medical evaluation, device insertion and removal, monthly group sessions and personalized lifestyle counseling from a behavioral coach and registered dietitian.
Please review the criteria below to determine if you are a candidate for the intragastric balloon:
- You are at least 30 pounds overweight
- You have attempted weight-loss through diet and exercise without success
- You have not been diagnosed with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- You do not have heart burn symptoms when taking heart burn medications
- You have not had previous surgeries in your small intestine or stomach, exception is an uncomplicated appendectomy surgery or gall bladder removal
- You have not had bariatric surgery in the past
- You are not on blood thinners
- You are willing to participate in a medically supervised program
- You are 22 years old or older
If any of the following statements are true, you are NOT a candidate for this treatment option and should not attend this information session:
- You have severe damage to your liver
- You take prescription aspirin, anti-inflammatory agents, anticoagulants or other gastric irritants daily
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
Currently, most insurance providers do not cover the cost of this new weight loss option.
The event is free and registration is required.
On Campus Sessions:
Registration desk opens: 5:45 p.m. • Presentation: 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Campus Location: Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital-Medical Office Building 3
1020 North Mason Road, Creve Coeur, MO 63141.
Webinar presentations: Dates and times vary - see registration form below.
Nonsurgical Weight Loss Webinar Information: find out more about webinar sessions before you register.
If you have reviewed the criteria and determined that you are a candidate for the intragastric balloon, please complete the registration below.