If you need a screening colonoscopy, our hospital offers the same standard of care as larger facilities, but in an area that’s easy to access and navigate.
Why Choose Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital for Your Colonoscopy
Though important, most people don’t look forward to getting a colonoscopy. That’s why we work hard to minimize your discomfort by performing the procedure in a friendly environment that you don’t have to fight traffic to get to.
Other reasons to come to us for your colonoscopy include:
- Expert physicians: Physicians from Washington University and BJC Medical Group perform thousands of these procedures at our facility each year.
- Monitored anesthesia: This provides a higher level of comfort by putting you into a deep sleep, instead of the ‘twilight sleep’ of conscious sedation.
- Same-day imaging facilities: If for some reason your colonoscopy cannot be completed after it is underway, we offer same-day colon X-ray and CT colonography (virtual colonoscopy) so that you don’t have to go through another prep and a separate appointment to complete your procedure. Learn more about imaging at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital.
What Is Colonoscopy?
Colonoscopy allows a digestive disease doctor (gastroenterologist) to examine your large intestine for tumors, pre-cancerous growths, inflammation and other abnormalities.
During a colonoscopy, you receive medications that put you to sleep. Your gastroenterologist then inserts a thin, flexible tube into your colon through the rectum to view it. The procedure usually takes less than one hour.
Learn more about what to expect with colonoscopy.
Who Should Receive a Screening Colonoscopy for Colon Cancer?
Our expert gastroenterologists recommend you get a screening colonoscopy if you:
- Are age 50 and over
- Have a personal or family history of colon cancer
- Have a family history of colon cancer
- Have a history of Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Have a personal history of precancerous colon polyps (adenomatous polyps)
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist, call Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital at 314.542.WEST (9378) or toll-free at 844.542.9378.
We are conveniently located just one mile west of I-270 on Olive Blvd., at Olive and Mason in Creve Coeur, Missouri - a west county suburb of St. Louis, Missouri. Get directions to our hospital.