The Siteman Cancer Center and Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital are providing free head and neck cancer screenings to those with increased risk factors.
Regardless of your age, tobacco (including smokeless tobacco) and alcohol use are the most significant risk factors for head and neck cancers. These substances when used together will put a person at a greater risk. Over the past decade, an increasing number of cases have also been attributed to the human papillomavirus, or HPV.
WHO SHOULD BE SCREENED
If you answer YES to one or more of the following you are a candidate for this screening:
- Are you a smoker, tobacco chewer and/or alcohol user?
- Do you have any sores in the mouth or on the tongue that have not healed in more than a month?
- Have you had persistent pain in the mouth or neck? Pain that is not associated with TMJ?
- Have you been experiencing hoarseness, a change in your voice, or a persistent cough?
- Have you had pain or difficulty swallowing?
- Do you have a lump in your neck or throat?
- Are your dentures poorly fitted?
- Do you have any growths on the skin of the face?
- Have you been experiencing a persistent sore throat/earache (longer than three weeks), especially one-sided?
Patients must be 16 years or older to participate in this screening.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THIS SCREENING
- Upon arrival you will fill out some paperwork and be escorted into a waiting area.
- Coffee, tea and water will be available.
- When a physician is available, you will be taken into a private room where an otolaryngologist will visually and physically check the ear, nose, throat and neck area for any signs of cancer. No diagnostic tests (scopes, x-rays etc.) will be performed.
- You will spend about 10 to 15 minutes with the doctor, but may be at the event for approximately 1 hour.
- This screening is not for neurological or scalp problems.
- Participants will receive a copy of their screening form. It is up to the patient to mail the screening form to their physician so it can be placed in their personal medical record.
For your convenience, this event will be held in two locations. When you call to register, please indicate which date you prefer.
||Saturday, November 5
||Appointments scheduled from 8 - 11:30 a.m.
||Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
Siteman Cancer Center, Medical Office Building 2
||10 Barnes West Drive, Creve Coeur, MO 63141
CALL TO REGISTER
Registration is required for this free screening. To schedule your appointment, please call 314.747.7222 or toll-free at 800.600.3606.